Thursday, June 25, 2009

Oh Oliver!

Well, our little rascal puppy is always keeping us on our toes! The other night, I was cleaning out our medicine cabinets and trying to get organized and put some meds on the toliet in the bathroom.

I forgot about this for a while, and at about 10:30 p.m. Travis finds Oliver in our guestroom chewing on a pack of pills. Travis picks up the pack and asks me what Oliver is chewing on, and I start to freak out...our 6 month old puppy (who is only 10 lbs.) has just eaten 8 laxatives!! (I know, kinda gross). I don't even want to know what 8 of those suckers would do to a human, let alone, a tiny dog!

I immediatley called Animal 911 (our local emergency vet) and they tell me that I need to call Animal Poison control before bringing Oliver in. I just knew that he would need to go in regardless, so Travis and I jumped in the car with O-dog to head over there, while I was on the phone with Poison Control.

Poison Control said that, yes, we would need to bring him in to Animal 911 and that we would immediatley need to induce vomiting. After Oliver emptied the majority of his little tummy, the vet told us that he would need to stay overnight with an IV, to stay hydrated, but that he should be Ok.

All went well overnight, with the exception of a 5:00 a.m. potty break, which was described to me as a minor explosion. Poor little guy waited all night and held it in until he was taken outside...:(

In the morning, I went to pick him up and was told that he needed to go to his normal vet to be hooked up to an IV for the day to prevent dehydration. So off to Dr. Slack we went, and the rest of the day he was fine on his IV.

I brought him home last night, and he has been resting and is feeling much better.

Boy did I learn a huge lesson about how careful we need to be with our precious little animals. We will be doing a much better job of keeping things out of his reach from now on.

It's a good thing he is doing better because tonight he graduates from puppy class!

P.S. Special news coming from the Dunns next week (no, it's not a baby)!

1 comment:

Jenna Cox said...

ok is the special news that u are moving this direction? I was hoping to find the story on your blog since you said something about it to me on Facebook. Cant wait to hear! :)